Walkie talkies can cover a wide spectrum of uses, solving communication issues at the push of a button within schools; they are a versatile tool that can adapt to any situation offering incredible value for money without the hindrance of monthly bills or call charges.
Whilst two way radios are primarily utilised in schools to keep track of staff onsite, to request a first aider or often taken on school trips, they can also become a valuable tool during an emergency situation. In today’s current climate it is imperative that educational establishments are prepared and DCRS offer a range of affordable school walkie talkie packages. When making your choice consider the area you need to cover and what you wish to achieve from your walkie-talkies.
Key Users Of Walkie Talkies In The Educational Environment Include:
- Teachers ( both on and off-site)
- School Administrators and Reception
- Caretakers, Maintenance and Estates Teams
- Security Teams
Key Uses Of Walkie Talkies In The Educational Environment Include:
- Campus Security / Stranger on Campus Alerts / Lock Downs
- Fire Alarm Coordination
- Car Loading
- School Trips
- Emergency / Incident Response
Do I need a radio licence for my school walkie talkies?
When you have a large area to cover PMR446 radios may not give you the coverage you require, therefore, you may need to look at a licensed two-way radio. Licensed walkie-talkies will require an OFCOM radio licence, this in itself can be a minefield, DCRS can assist with the application and take care of the renewals. You can learn more about OFCOM radio licences here.
The best walkie talkies for schools
The Motorola Solutions MOTOTRBO DP1400 Digital Licensed Two Way Radio – A Robust hand portable that has been put through the Motorola Solutions 5 Year Accelerated Life Tests to withstand the harshest of knocks. Ideal for on-site communications this reliable unit has a simple PTT operation and a programmable emergency button to raise an alert in should the need for assistance be required.
RRP £236.00 + VAT – Buy On Line Now
The basic package includes 1 x DP1400 UHF / VHF hand portable two-way radio, NIMH / Li-Ion Battery, Single-Unit Charger, Antenna, 3″ Belt Clip & 2-year warranty (does not apply to batteries or accessories). There also is a full range of supporting accessories. Click here to download the MOTOTRBO™ DP1400 Accessories brochure.
Features + Benefits Of The Motorola DP1400 Range
- ANALOGUE / DIGITAL: Get all the benefits of digital, including better voice quality, better range and better battery life – but retain compatibility with your existing radio fleet. The freedom to migrate to the latest technology at your own pace.
- TRANSMIT INTERRUPT CAPABILITY (decode only): Enables a supervisor to interrupt a MOTOTRBO™ DP1400 user to deliver critical communication exactly when and where it’s needed.
- DUAL CAPACITY DIRECT MODE: Utilise the power of the 2-slot TDMA DMR standard to double the capacity of your 12.5 kHz channel – without the need for a repeater.
- IP54 TARED: Dustproof and splashproof, so you can work with confidence in challenging environments.
The Hytera PD505 Digital / Analogue Licensed Two Way Radio – Light and sleek, the Hytera PD505 digital two-way radio is easy to use in analogue and digital modes. It is compact in size and is capable of reaching long distances which makes it ideal for a school. With all the benefits of digital and it’s user-friendly design, the Hytera PD505 is particularly suitable for a cost-efficient migration to digital.
RRP £241.00 + VAT – Buy On Line Now
The basic package includes 1 x PD505 UHF / VHF hand portable two-way radio, Li-Ion Battery, Single-Unit Charger (optional), Antenna, Belt Clip/Nylon Strap & 2-year warranty (does not apply to batteries or accessories). There also is a full range of supporting accessories. Click here to download the MOTOTRBO™ DP1400 Accessories brochure.
Features + Benefits Of The Hytera PD505 Radio
- EMERGENCY MODE – Raise an alarm with top priority to a base station or other radios with the pre-programmed emergency mode, identifying the ID of the person issuing the alert. Also receive emergency notifications.
- STUN / UNSTUN – You can disable/enable the radio remotely, ideal if a device is lost, stolen or being misused.
- RADIO CHECK – Allows other radio users to check if a radio is available.
- LONG LIFE BATTERY – Operating time of approximately 16 hours in digital mode.
The Motorola XT420 and XT460 two way radios are the ultimate on-site two-way business radios helping you communicate instantly, without missing a beat. With crisp, clear audio throughout the workplace and exceptional durability, the XT400 Series delivers excellent performance even with hard use in high noise educational environment.
XT400 series radios are compatible with all XTNi series walkie talkie radios. They share the same frequencies, and programming profiles are interchangeable.
RRP XT460 £150 + VAT / xt420 £ 135.00 + VAT- Buy On Line Now
The basic package includes – 1 x Motorola XT420 or XT460 Portable Radio, Antenna, Rechargeable Battery, Carry Holster, Charger, Safety Manual, Quick Start Guide and 12 Months Warranty.
- License-free PMR4446 frequencies – The Motorola XT420 and XT460 two way radio operate without subscription or call charges on PMR446 unlicensed frequencies, offering 8 channels and 219 user selectable privacy codes to help ensure a clear signal.
- Easy-to-Read Display – Quickly view your operating channel and radio status at a glance with the easily readable display.
- Durable, Water-Resistant – The XT400 Series Meets military specifications for sealing against dust, wind, shock, vibration and other adverse conditions. These radios also undergo Motorola’s exclusive Accelerated Life Testing (ALT) that simulates up to 5 years of field use.
- Exceptionally Clear Audio – Powerful speaker delivers premium-quality audio for clear communications in noisy conditions.
The analogue handheld Hytera TC-320 is a licence-free PMR446 two-way radio that offers many functions for an attractive price. Excelling with a compact, ergonomic design, the TC-320 delivers excellent sound quality and offers resistance against impacts, ideal for school environments.
RRP £69.00 + VAT- Buy On Line Now
The basic package includes – 1 x Hytera TC 320, Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery, USB Charger or Single Charger & PSU Option, Belt Clip / Strap, User Guide and 12 Months Warranty (radios only).
- Clear Communication – HYT voice management combined with an optimised loudspeaker ensures a clear sound is delivered to the user.
- Ergonomic Design – Double injection moulding with an anti-slip surface ensures the TC-320 is easy to grab and operate.
- Hardwearing – Tested to withstand a fall from a height of 1.5m, ideal for indoor use in warehouses and manufacturing.
Sitting just below the Motorola XT400 series the Motorola T82 Walkie Talkie Twin Pack is the best walkie talkie to take out and about on school trips covering up to a 10km range. With its outstanding features, these small two-way radios can keep both teachers and pupils in touch. The new hidden display comes alive when you need it, making calling easier while the easy pairing button makes set-up simple.
RRP £84.00 + VAT- Buy On Line Now
The basic package includes – 1 x Twin Pack of T82 Black & Orange radios, Belt Clips x2, Mains Charger with 2 micro USB plugs, Rechargeable Battery x2, 16 Personalisation Stickers, Instruction Manual and 12 Months Warranty (radios only).
- Splash Proof – with an IPX2 rating, the T82 can take the drops and splashes you’re likely to encounter on your treks.
- Built-in LED torch provides emergency light when needed so you can read your map in the dark.
- Battery level indicator / Dual power – AA standard alkaline batteries or rechargeable NiMH batteries (included). NiMH 800 mAH included batteries offer up to 18 hours of battery life. Optional high capacity batteries 1300 mAH with up to 26 hours.
- Vibrate alert & Hands-free operation
The Verdict: Best Walkie Talkies for School
All of the hand portables DCRS have highlighted above are robust, reliable and will provide a good return on investment. With the challenge of rising costs, tighter budgets and the need to offer incident prevention within your health and safety protocols DCRS would recommend that the hand portable walkie-talkies are trialled prior to purchasing if you are unsure if they will reach your required coverage footprint.
If you are looking for an everyday hand portable for your educational establishment, then the Motorola DP1400 or Hytera PD505 hand portable radio are designed with this in mind. For smaller sites, school events and school trips, the Hytera TC 320 or Motorola T82 are an ideal communications partner to keep everyone connected.
Still Unsure? We offer portable and fixed radio infrastructures to suit all sizes & budgets and provide everything from demonstrations to training. Why not arrange a visit from one of our Account Managers here.
DCRS Ltd can supply hand portable radios through the ESPO 393i Framework Agreement – To buy online today through your ESPO agreement, please click here.
Superyacht Case Study
11th July 2019
ICOM VE-SP1 LTE/PoC radio desk conference microphone
2nd July 2019
The Big Church Day Out – Case Study
27th June 2019
Question Time – The ICOM LTE Radio System
10th June 2019
Step into the future with ICOM
23rd April 2019